After extraction, the resulting CBD oil is described as “full-spectrum.” This means that other cannabinoids besides CBD, including CBDA, CBDV, THC, and others, are still present. As long as the product is sourced from hemp, the amount of THC will be 0.3% or less (which makes it legal anywhere in the U.S.).
Full-spectrum CBD oils also contain other beneficial elements from the plant material, such as terpenes and amino acids. Many people prefer full-spectrum Hemp Oil because of the “entourage effect.” While this effect has not been proven, some users believe that the CBD is able to engage the endocannabinoid system more effectively when more cannabinoids are present.
However, some people would rather have no THC in their oil, even in very low, legal amounts. These people prefer CBD isolates. To create CBD isolate, the extract is cooled and further purified into crystalline isolate form. This results in a white, flavorless powder. Because it contains only CBD, CBD isolate is less expensive per milligram, contains no THC, and has no flavor or odor.
Finally, regardless of whether it is turned into a CBD isolate or remains full-spectrum, the Hemp Oil is added to other substances to create various CBD products.
- The CBD may be mixed with a carrier oil like hemp seed oil or coconut oil to create Hemp Oil tinctures.
- To create CBD gummies, the Hemp Oil may be combined with natural flavoring, juice, and organic corn syrup.
- The Hemp Oil may be mixed with a variety of ingredients to create CBD edibles like baked goods or chocolates.
- With CBD capsules, the Hemp Oil is often added to MCT oil (a coconut oil extract) to give the capsule volume. If it’s a softgel, the capsule may also use olive oil to create the casing.
- To create CBD vape oils, the Hemp Oil is combined with a mix of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol (to make it suitable for inhalation) and natural flavoring (for better taste).
- The Hemp Oil may be combined with various essential oils, shea butter, aloe vera, and waxes to create CBD creams, skin salves, and other topicals.